Built in 1855 in the Italianate Style, the Wisconsin House Hotel and Saloon replaced an 1852 structure that burned. It served as a hotel until 1885, after which it became a saloon and harness shop. A ballroom on the second floor was noted for its George Washington Birthday Balls. The one-story annex was added in 1926. The 1900 Port Washington phone directory lists the occupants as: Bichler and Hemes, Dealers in Boots and Shoes–New styles, Reliable Goods, Lowest Prices. The building later housed the Huetmann & Federspiel Hardware Store. It currently is occupied by a popular restaurant.
Copyright © 2018 - Franklin Street Historic Walking Tour - All Rights Reserved.