The Schumacher Building was built in 1930 to house Schumacher Monument Works. The exterior is Art Deco Style done in limestone. Established in 1878, the Jacob Schumacher gravestone business operated out of a wood structure on this same location advertising: Marble, granite, and stone work, plus a complete line of lamps, china and glassware. The building later housed Galles Ice Cream Parlor and also served as the Greyhound bus stop for Port Washington. Later Schiller Sporting Goods occupied the building. The building, as many along Franklin Street, is a contributing building to Franklin Street’s designation on the National Register of Historic Places.
Copyright © 2018 - Franklin Street Historic Walking Tour - All Rights Reserved.