The Port Washington State Bank is one of the oldest business institutions in the city. Founded in 1899 with original capital of $25,000, it operated out of the original building until it was replaced in 1921. Refurbished in 1958, the bank continues to be owned and operated by five generations of the Schowalter family.
The John Uselding Building was built in 1917 of red brick. The building housed the Post Office until 1938 when the current Post Office building on Main Street was built. The Jentges Grocery Store occupied the site through the 1950s. In later years the building was acquired by The Port Washington State Bank.
Port Washington State Bank 1899
Copyright © 2018 - Franklin Street Historic Walking Tour - All Rights Reserved.