The Wilson House Hotel was built in 1891 in Queen Anne Style and catered exclusively to the best class of trade. Rooms rented at $2.00 a day. The hotel served as headquarters for firemen who fought the 1899 Wisconsin Chair Company fire which threatened Port Washington’s entire downtown. The site originally housed a commercial building built in 1850 by entrepreneur Barnum Blake. In 1867 it was expanded and converted to the Union House Hotel operated by Major Schroelling. It contained 30 sleeping rooms, all elegantly furnished. Blake sold the building in 1875 to Sievers and Schwin. The building was resold in 1891 and purchased by Wilson. While the old brick building was being razed to make room for the new hotel, Wilson operated out of a temporary frame building constructed on the north end of the double lot. Called the Oklahoma, it served as a tavern and eating place until the three storied, 28 room Wilson Hotel was completed. The building no longer operates as a hotel.
Union House Built In 1850
Copyright © 2018 - Franklin Street Historic Walking Tour - All Rights Reserved.