Built in 1907, the Martin Zimmerman Building was the first one to be built of block after the 1899 fire. A publication, circa 1908, stated “M. Zimmerman’s The Annex Sample Room: Brass and orchestra music furnished, dealer in all kinds of musical instruments.” Janeshek’s Tavern occupied the site in the 1950s through the 1970s. In recent years the building has functioned as Schooner’s Pub.
Across the pedestrian walkway, a similarly built building of block housed the Business Men’s Clubhouse which offered bowling and billiards. This was the Henry and Hill Building built in 1907. For a number of years, the building housed Molitor’s grocery store. In 1963 the facade was altered to blend with the façade of the adjacent First National Bank, which had incorporated the space into its business. Fully restored in 2015, it is now home to the Port Exploreum, an interactive history maritime family museum owned and operated by the Port Washington Historical Society.
Both buildings at 114 and 118 N. Franklin Street were built in the Neoclassical Richardsonian Romanesque Revival Style.
The First National Bank Building, built in 1909, is the only Neo-Classic Revival Style building on Franklin Street with the signature feature of a colossal order portico dominating the front façade. The bank was founded in 1909 with assets of $54,740.44. In 1982 the building was acquired by Colonial National Bank. Later the building became a part of M&I Bank. In 2005 the bank moved out of the Franklin Street location. Sitting vacant for numerous years, the building was under a raze order until its acquisition as a part of redevelopment in the area in 2012.
Condominiums occupy the site of three buildings, two of which were occupied by the iconic Harry’s Restaurant. All three sites were previously frame buildings that burned in the Wisconsin Chair Company fire of 1899. All three were rebuilt in cream-colored brick from a local brick manufacturer. The Peter Pelt Building at 126 N Franklin Street was built in 1901. The Joseph Schuder Building at 128 N Franklin Street, was built in 1900. Schuder’s Bakery was the occupant beginning in 1900.
Copyright © 2018 - Franklin Street Historic Walking Tour - All Rights Reserved.