This corner lot was the site of numerous photographers over the years, with a glass solar-looking building that let natural light into the studio. In the early 1900s, it was the location of Reuter Photography Studio. Later it was the site of Ewig’s House of Music, operated by Harold Ewig who fixed and sold musical instruments, gave music lessons and sold sheet music and 78, 45, 33 rpm records.
The Peter Kuhn Building is a cream-colored brick building built in 1867. It served as a meat market. Later it was occupied by Schuknecht Insurance.
The Michael Even Building was built of cream-colored brick. Built in the late 1800s, it operated as a saloon in the early years and has housed various businesses over the years, including ladies apparel.
The red brick Henry Schoensigel Building was built in 1928 in the Twentieth Century Commercial Style. It housed the Port Pilot Newspaper. The newspaper was issued on Thursdays and cost $1.50 per year. Up to 2018, it was the home of the Shirley Gruen Art Gallery where Shirley painted scenes of Port Washington and Lake Michigan from her second story studio. The corner was also the location of one of the city’s many artesian well bubblers (drinking fountains) that now no longer exist.
Reuter Photography Studio 1913
Copyright © 2018 - Franklin Street Historic Walking Tour - All Rights Reserved.